RE: Is an Oracle license required for a development environment?

  • From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 07:25:19 -0600

Oracle actually has the XE (?) version, which is free for development. It
has limitations, not being as full featured as like the Enterprise Edition
or even the Standard Edition, but enough 'features' (suposedly) that most
devs can experiment and play with different scenarios. It is supposed to
work pretty well with ApEx (formerly HTML DB).

I have never tried it personally myself though.

                               Bill Ferguson
            U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
                           PO Box 25046, MS-750
                           Denver Federal Center
                          Denver, Colorado 80225
           Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321     Fax   (303)236-4208
      ~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~

"Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/02/2006 07:11 AM
Please respond to
John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<Nigel.Bishop@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Is an Oracle license required for a development environment?

I think the only time an oracle license is not required is when you are
doing a DR test and I think you are allowed up to 14 days where Oracle
will be running on both servers.
I am not sure I could find the source of that info but it is my
understanding of the situation

HTH

John