Re: Is RAC DOA?

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:31:17 -0400

I sure hope its not dead - my company's whole business is based around
RAC.  :)

The problem is, like you said, it can be expensive for those
organizations unable or unwilling to fight the good fight against
oracle.  Also, a certain number of DBAs (this list, by the way, is much
more atypical than what I see out in the field) are averse to
technologies like Linux, Intel, and active/active clustering for a
variety of (generally not very good) reasons.  In addition, RAC is hard
to set up, get working in a stable fashion, and manage long-term
(again, see why our whole business is based around RAC).

We are actually seeing RAC as a rapidly growing segment of the Oracle
market, but mostly among large organizations that are taking a serious
look at replacing many of their low- to mid-tier databases with RAC
clusters.  These organizations are also tending to license RAC on a
sitewide basis.

I'm sorry for not addressing your question earlier.  We do not see that
behavior in our lab with our product.  The other individual who replied
is using the Veritas advanced cluster, which uses a totally different
transport protocol for the interconnect traffic (GAB/LLT instead of IP
and UDP).  Ours is on Linux, stock Oracle cluster manager, 9.2.0.3
through 9.2.0.5.

Thanks,
Matt

--