Re: Is ASMLIB required for NetApp's SMO on RHEL 6 when using VMWare?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dananrg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:08:01 -0700

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Dana Nibby <dananrg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is ASMLIB required or recommended for NetApp's Snap Manager for Oracle
> (SMO) when Oracle 11gR2 is running on a VMWare RHEL 6 host (plain vanilla
> RedHat kernel; not the Unbreakable one)? Our storage admin, sysadmins and I
> are all new to Oracle on RHEL 6 (we've been a RHEL 5 shop) and Oracle
> running on a VMWare host. There's a question of what to do re: ASMLIB.
> Likely in part precipitated by threads discussing the availability of
> ASMLIB for RHEL 6 versus OL 6. But also by NetApp docs.
> Our storage admin referenced the SnapManager for Oracle Best Practices doc
> ASMLIB seems to be a requirement (asterisk emphasis mine):

Wow, that's a pretty specific requirement.

>         "Automatic Storage Management support library (ASMLib) *must* be
> used when using ASM with iSCSI or FCP on Linux."

If this is the case, it is a requirement of NetApp, as it is not required
by Oracle.
iSCSI works fine without ASMLIB.  I will supply the caveat that I have done
this on Oracle Linux 5.5, not 6.

Even so, it seems unlikely to be a requirement for anything other than
NetApp.

> But our sysadmins say, in a VMWare environment, that ASM diskgroups look
> like plain SCSI to RHEL 6. And have suggested ASMLIB is therefore not
> required.

I am not a sysadmin, but would tend to agree with that.

You probably need to create a Proof of Concept environment, and try it.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com