Re: Interviewing experiences with novice interviewers

A good read, if only for a laugh:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2011/02/14/what-would-feynman-do.aspx

Well, generally speaking, if a non-dba interviews a prospective DBA it means
that there probably isn't a qualified DBA to ask the questions or that they
are 'much too busy'. Either situation doesn't seem like an Idea working
environment. I would instead ask to meet with the DBA team to see if they
are worth working with. From personal experience, the technical interview in
very large companies usually means very little. When I interviewed for IBM I
answered every question correctly and included all the usual stuff they like
(documentation, communication, processes, etc) They still told me I was a
Semi-SR. I took the job anyway (the pay was better and I needed the money at
the time) and later became friends with the guy that interviewed me and he
told me that his boss had ordered him to never say anyone was 'Sr'. The
reasons behind that are unimportant, but I was a little annoyed when I found
out that I was earning the same as people who couldn't deal with a simple
database restore... (One of the many reasons I left IBM for...)

I guess my answer is that you should probably ask yourself if that's really
the company you want to work for (assuming you have the luxury of turning
down a job).

Now as to ways to handle the interviewers, if they come out and tell you
that they are not Oracle experts, then ask whether you will be given a
technical interview by a DBA, and try to use short answers, don't be afraid
to throw in some technical term or shorthand DBAs may use and ask if they'd
like you to explain the concepts to them as you introduce them. Avoid any
areas you may have trouble with... and throw in some buzz word now and
again. (24x7, High Availability, reliability, performance, documentation).

hth
Alan.-