RE: Interesting problem

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:49:53 -0400

Dave,
>> a query that scans maybe 4 blocks and returns data instantly
>> when I run it manually but throughout the day periodically
>> it takes well over 10 seconds, which isn't acceptable.

How do you know this...and more importantly are you saying that the table only
contains 4 block and thus a Full Table Scan could never read more than 4 blocks?
What I'm getting at is how do you know that query is always the same.
Is it the same literal (hard coded) in the WHERE clause every time?
Can different WHERE conditions take longer?

>> We've been using set client info on many of our
>> production systems for some time and this helps us
>> create resource usage reports so we can identify
>> owners of bottlenecks.

This is idea is very cool...one I have never spent much time on.
Want to share you docs, logic, scripts on how this is done.

Anyone have any good links or docs about;
Practical (simple!!!) Oracle Resource Usage Collection / Reports.

I support a web based app for one client and bad sql often goes unseen until
many sessions start doing the same thing.
Meaning even bad sql is hard to "watch" goes along to the human eye the waits
are short...but is computing time these waits are probably awful.

Thanks,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA