Re: Interesting Christmas Eve listener problem

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 00:36:05 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 26/12/2006 6:35 AM:

the file descriptors, wrote a meaningless error messages and died. Would it be too much to kindly ask Oracle to add a @#$%! signal handler telling me that I have to clean up the @#$%! log file? I hate debugging on Christmas Eve!

I hear ye! Indeed there is a lack
of this type of maintenance signal from
the part of Oracle...

Of course, after a delicate application of "rm -f" command on the listener.log,
listener started working
like a charm. RMAN catalog was created in 2003 and listener was up, all this
time.

Two words:
"log rotation"

and for the listener, there is even a nice command
to make it start writing a new log file: no need
to shutdown and restart listener!

Happy holidays to everybody!

And to you as well.

--