Re: Installation of the Oracle software on the SAN or not

Contrary opinion to previous replies:

single ORACLE_HOME installation = single point of failure

You may not think of your ORACLE_HOME as a failure-prone component, but
of course it is, just as much as your OS install or any hardware
component.  Try backing out a patch upgrade that failed half-way through
installation, for just one simple example.

Keeping copies of ORACLE_HOME identical across Unix machines is not
unreasonably hard, using rsync.  I can (and have) argued that in fact
this is preferable to relying on the Universal Installer (OUI) to
maintain identical ORACLE_HOMEs across a set of servers.

As with any type of redundancy, there is a cost. So there is no "right"
answer, it's just a matter of how much risk you want to avoid, at what
price. Whether it's on another node in the same cluster, or on a standby
server somewhere else, you do really need a "backup" ORACLE_HOME
installation somewhere, though.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com