Re: Insert Performance question

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:03:46 -0400

On 07/27/2004 03:45:54 PM, Harvinder Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Also we are doing the same test on SQL Server. With 2 sessions inserting
> 1M each by selecting from same table and inserting into 1st table
> inserts_rows_per_Second on SQL Server is 25000 whereas on Oracle is only
> 10000.

Try it with the APPEND hint, and also try turning off dirty reads
on SQL server, which will bring SQL Server more in line with the normal
performance numbers. Make sure that SQL Server is doing journaling
(a thing that MS people occasionally forget to turn on and is approximately
as insignificant as redo logging). Also, increase the size of redo log files,
so that you don't do log switching and put redo logs on the fastest disk
available. Don't put anything else there, if you can help it. As a sales
support person for a company that used to sell WYSE Unix machines, which
were overgrown PC boxes with EISA I/O boards and a proprietary SMP motherboards,
I was able to beat SGI Indigo workstation running then brand new 66MHZ MIPS 4400
with a Wyse 7000 box running a 33MHZ 486. How did I do it? Well, there is a
parameter called "_disable_logging".....Microsoft people tend to do the same
thing if not carefully watched.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA