RE: Info on VLDB/DW

  • From: Katz.C@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:44:03 -0400

Bob,
I can't answer your questions directly, but I think, Tim Gorman's book -
Essential Oracle8i Data Warehousing can.

Re your signature:
I just struggled today with an error message, It took me quite a while to
realize why Oracle was telling me that the values keyword was missing. (An
over-simplified version of the statement follows) Are Oracle error messages
not keeping up with the code?

SQL> Begin
  2    Merge into emp e
  3    Using   (select *
  4             from   emp_temp) t
  5    on (e.empno = t.empno)
  6    when matched then
  7      Update  set
  8          e.hiredate = t.hiredate
  9    when not matched then
 10        Insert into emp  (empno, hiredate)
 11        values  (t.empno, t.hiredate);
 12  End;
 13  /
      values  (t.empno, t.hiredate);
     *
ERROR at line 11:
ORA-06550: line 10, column 14:
PL/SQL: ORA-00926: missing VALUES keyword

chaim
http://www.learntorah.net