From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Daniel Fink
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 11:08 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Index help

If the value of :1 = 46847 a full table scan makes sense (96% of the rows
meet the predicate condition). If the value is not 46847,
then an index lookup is probably faster. This is really a catch-22. Bind
variables are helping your parse times, but *may* be
hurting your execution time (hard to tell without knowing how many
executions use 46847 and how many do not). Without a histogram on
the column, Oracle will assume an even distribution, which is incorrect.

You are trapped between a rock and a hard place. If you use hard-coded
values instead of binds and have a histogram on the column,
the CBO should pick the proper execution plan each time. This also means
that you will have unique versions of the statement in your
shared pool. Sorry there is not a simple, quick answer to this one.

I suggest reading Wolfgang's paper "Fallacies of the Cost-Based Optimizer"
at www.centrexcc.com. He explains this issue very well.

Regards,
Daniel Fink