Index clustering factor

  • From: "Orysia Husak" <Orysia.Husak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:44:38 -0700

On our 10.2.0.3 database, we have a very simple query that is not using
the index that we expected and is instead doing a full tablescan. The
clustering factor of this index is very high. Have any of you
encountered a similar problem? How have you solved it?

Have any of you used the technique described in the book Cost-Based
Oracle Fundamentals by Jonathan Lewis to adjust the clustering factor of
an index using the sys_op_countchg() function?

Our query is :

Select * from tableA where fielda=:A and fieldb=:B

We have an index on tableA (fielda, fieldb), but Oracle isn't using the

The clustering factor of the index is :  1089825

The table is located in an ASSM type tablespace and the table stats:

  NUM_ROWS     BLOCKS

---------- ----------

   1976721      31517

I'd appreciate your suggestions  ...... or experiences using the
sys_op_countchg() function.

Thank you,

Orysia

Orysia Husak

Sr. Oracle DBA - Classroom Applications Hosting

University of Phoenix/ Apollo Group, Inc.

Office: 602-557-6934

Mobile: 602-377-8586

orysia.husak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx