Index Statistics not gathered even after runing dbms_stats.GATHER_TABLE_STATS

  • From: Dwaraknath Krishnamurthi <dwarak.k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:01:24 +0530

Hi All,

I am trying to collect statistics to a table 'T' which is owned by 'S'
schema.
When i try to gather statistics to the table, I see that the table
statistics are gathered but the index statistics are still not gathered.
I use the following command to collect the statistics.
EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS('S', 'T',estimate_percent => 30);

I confirmed the statics of index are not gathered by quering

select * from dba_indexes
where table_name = 'T'

columns leaf_blocks ,distinct_keys,clustering_factor,num_rows shows value 0
and the last_analyzed does not show the date on which i ran the
gather_table_stats.

Why does DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS not gather statistics for the index?

I have not tried running gather_index_stats  or rebuilding the index.

--
Thanks,
Dwarak.K