Increased memory usage with 10g client?

  • From: "McLeod, Riley" <riley.mcleod@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:08:39 -0500

Background:  Database environment is Oracle EE 10.2.0.3 on HP-UX 11.23
(PA-RISC).  We are running a homegrown app using Apache as the
application server.  Our app runs as an Apache module (shared library).
It's written in C using both OCI and Pro*C.  Our application servers are
running HP-UX 11.0 and RHEL4, all using the Oracle 9i client.

Recently we deployed a couple of new application servers running RHEL5
and the Oracle Instantclient (10.2.0.3).  Since then I've noticed a
large increase in memory usage on the database server.  Looking at
PGA_ALLOC_MEM in v$process I noticed that the PGA size is up to 10 times
larger for the sessions using the 10g client compared to the ones using
the 9i client.  The PGA size starts small and steadily grows.  We have
actually started using some swap space on the database server at times.
BTW there is also increased memory usage on the client side (up to 6x
compared to RHEL4 application server).

Is this expected behavior?  I have searched Metalink and googled but
haven't found anything to explain what I'm seeing.  I just opened an SR
about this but thought I'd check here to see if anyone might have some
insight into this.

Thanks,
Riley

Riley McLeod