Re: Inconsistent file IO times on AWR report

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nkodner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:22:56 +0100

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We enabled directIO and set filesystemIO_options to setall last week.  Our
> first real test was this morning and our main batch jobs ran slower.  A few
> things noticed was that there was more physical IO, and by looking at the
> tkprof (and soon 10046), the cardinality numbers on the explain plans for
> nearly all statements were much higher.  The same plans were used but the
> cardinality numbers on the tkprof were much, much higher.
> I feel that this issue relates to optimizer stats and not a direct result of
> the parameter change but am not 100% sure.  We haven't changed the way we
> analyze our tables in weeks.

Hi Neil

I doubt that changing filesystemIO_options has direct impact on
cardinality of joins or
selections.

Did you have any significant operations on OP_TRANSACTIONS table ?

In "before" example number of consistent reads is
72143 for table
51674 for index

Physical reads
12115 for table
1190 for index

In "after" example numbers are:
consistent reads:
191111 for table
128359 for index

Physical reads:
41166 for table
7420 for table

It look like size of table has been changed or additional CR are
related to consistent read (UNDO)
mechanism - is there a lot of transactions ?

regards,

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com