Re: Important: Oracle processes taking lots of CPU

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: new_dba_on_the_block@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:01:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi New DBA,

timed_os_statistics are just fun for me.

Not a crazy overhead for me. Bigger overheads are
usually stupid application executing on top of Oracle
:)

I had all my 9i/10g databases set with
timed_os_statistics=1 because they are not the
production.

Some of these OS times should be added to the CPU used
by this session to get the overall time.
These stats are very undocumented. You can check the
Metalink, I had one discussion with Oracle about it.

But the parameter is not that important, even setting
it and looking all these times.

The most important thing is that these statistics may
reveal you some of the discrepancies in Oracle CPU
timing (or timing in the computer science globally).

What I mean is:
  you can have CPU used by this session 100 s, but
your top is showing you 200 s.

This can be because of many many reasons, one of the
most suspicious is the ORacle bug related to a few
Oracle versions.

Then I am asking you:

1. What is the version of Oracle you are using?
2. What is the time in CPU used in session and what in
top (in seconds)?
3. Did you wait to the SQL/PL/SQL to finish before
responding to the question 2. as somebody pointed to
you?

The main thing is the difference, because there are
cases when the Oracle timing can be very bad.

Also, why you are looking Oracle timing when you said
you do not have the time to learn tuning?

Regards,
Zoran

http://my.yahoo.com