Implementing ADDRESS WINDOWING EXTENSIONS (AWE) for increased memory

  • From: David Grosser <davidg.oraclel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:22:44 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to implement ADDRESS WINDOWING EXTENSIONS (AWE) to take advantage of
all of the memory on my server.  The server details are: Windows server 2003
enterprise edition, 4 processors, 8 GB memory, Oracle 10.2.0.1.

I tried to implement awe according to metalink note 225349.1 but my instance is
not coming up.  I did the following:

added switches /PAE and /3GB to the boot.ini

removed sga_target from the spfile added USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE to the
spfile

added DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS to the spfile
The error I get when I start the database is :ORA-27102: out of
memoryOSD-00034: additional error informationO/S-Error: (OS 8) Not enough
storage is available to process this command.

I've tried raising and lowering the memory but nothing works.

Has anyone implemented AWE?  If so, how did you get it to work?

Thanks,
David Grosser
DBA
NSTAR Electric and Gas

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix".