Re: Impact on running rman

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:31:02 +0300

First of all, backups shouldn't be schedule during peak or business hours.
However, RMAN backup are far better than the user managed hot backups in
terms of redo, availablity, performance and etc.

restore validate, I guess, didn't touch the live database, rather simply
check the backup copies validity.

Jaffar

On 6/26/07, Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx> wrote:

What is the impact of running an rman hot backup followed by a "restore
validate" on application performance?  Is there any possibility of
applications or transactions being blocked during the backup and
validate process?  My environment is 10.2.0.2.0 Enterprise Edition
running on HP-UX B.11.23.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."