RE: I/O performance

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GG <grzegorzof@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:46:56 +0000

Yes, considered it, but haven't actually tested it yet.  I did run calibrate_io
on this same machine though with the below results:

SQL> @calibrate_io (with num_disks=8, max_latency=100)
max_iops = 1069
latency  = 99
max_mbps = 308

I ran Windows Perfmon while calibrate_io was running to get a better idea of
what it was actually doing and I saw that it ran 8k reads for the first part of
the test (IOPS) and then ran 1M reads for the last part (MBPS).  What was odd
was that it appeared to cap itself at a latency of 3.7ms and/or queue length of
4 for the IOPS test, regardless of what I specified for num_disks or
max_latency.  I don't know if it was due to a bug or if it's supposed to be
that way, but when I ran calibrate_io on another system, I didn't see the same
behavior.  So far I've only run calibrate_io on these two systems so I'm
planning more testing in the future.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be
much available on the Internet about the internals of calibrate_io.

Thanks,
Brandon