RE: IBM FlashCopy

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmorse2@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:50:42 -0500

I assume that IBM's FlashCopy is similar to EMC's Business Continuance
Volume(BCV) capability in that you split two mirrors into separate file
systems.  Assuming that to be true, yes you can use them for online
backup with no difficulty.  Once the database is restored to the a new
location the db only thinks it has experienced a crash & does crash
recovery.  Works absolutely fine, we do a minimum on one BCV refresh
every night.  Takes about half an hour for 900GB of data.  Works just
like a clock.  From Oracle's perspective, you put the entire database in
hot backup mode  wait a second or two while the mirror's sync, split the
mirror, take the prime db out of hot backup mode, and move on.  The
short period time that your in hot backup mode and syncing causes more
than enough data to be written to the online redo logs to allow for a
nice clean restart on the other side.