From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Thomas Biju
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 4:34 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: I was surprised, thought I'd share...

According to Oracle LONG and LONG RAW data types are deprecated (in =
Oracle8=3D
i) and "we" should convert them to appropriate LOB data types.
And there are procedures to convert them too...

The following SQL is run on a brand new (not upgraded from earlier =
version)=3D
 Oracle 10g 10.1.0.3 database:

system> select data_type, count(*)
  2  from dba_tab_columns
  3  where DATA_TYPE like 'LONG%'
  4  and owner =3D3D 'SYS'
  5* group by data_type
system> /

DATA_TYPE              COUNT(*)
-------------------- ----------
LONG                        209
LONG RAW                      4

system@FTWT66OD> select * from v$version;

BANNER
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.3.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
CORE    10.1.0.3.0      Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production

system@FTWT66OD>

Thanks,
Biju Thomas
DBA

__=3D
__________________________________

This electronic transmission and any attached files are intended solely =
for=3D
 the person or entity to which they are addressed and may contain =
informati=3D
on that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from =
disclosure.=3D
 Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use, including =
taking a=3D
ny action concerning this information by anyone other than the named =
recipi=3D
ent, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or =
have =3D
received this communication in error, please immediately notify the =
sender =3D
and destroy this communication.

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which =
contains
information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is =
intended=20
to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are =
not the=20
intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, =
distribution=20
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify =
the
sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us =
by