Re: Huge Partitions and Indexes, maybe compression

  • From: "Richard Foote" <richard.foote@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:49:39 +1000

Something that hasn't kinda been stated yet is a rethink in your backup and
recovery strategy. If the times to rebuild a huge index are restrictive in
terms of the performance issues that might eventuate while you re-create the
corrupted index, you may need to seriously consider having a backup of your
indexes. Then a recovery of a corrupted index can consist of a relatively
fast datafile or block restore and subsequent recovery.

Increase storage requirements, yes, but also increased recovery times as
well.

Cheers

Richard