RE: How to use both nvl and index access without creating functional index ?

  • From: "Daniel Wittry" <daniel.wittry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:07:35 -0700

If I understand your intent, you wish to Select the rows that are null
on that column without doing a FTS. Yes?

Consider having a default value of "null" on the field and rather than
using WHERE column IS NULL, use WHERE column=3D'null'. The index will =
not
be suppressed.

Select decode(column, 'null', NULL, column)
  from tableA
 where column =3D 'null'

Daniel Wittry, OCA
OCP wannabe