RE: How to tune database with lots of very light queries

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:35:03 -0400

That can be a difficult position to be in.  Short of buying more hardware, what
can you do?

Well, it depends....one thing that may be worth looking at, (or not, it
depends) is, how about turning some of those tables w/ pk based lookups into
single table hash clusters?  Start with the most heavily hit object.  A
correctly optimized single table hash cluster will allow you to do pk lookups
at a cost of 1 buffer get.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much more you can do....look at caching stuff at
a tier external to the database, to reduce the frequency of execution, possibly
a TimesTen front end (I have zero experience w/ it, but, if I were in your
situation, it's something I'd at least be looking at).

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.