Re: How to trace what is happening inside the stored procedure

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:21:01 +1100

Tim Gorman apparently said,on my timestamp of 6/02/2005 5:51 AM:
> That is exactly what the DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO package is intended for.

Yeah that is nice, but...

> --------------------- begin PL/SQL code fragment -------------------
> Procedure prepare (...)
> As
>         --
>         v_errcontext                    varchar2(300);

The above

> v_errcontext := 'query all_part_tables';
> dbms_application_info.set_action(v_errcontext);

and this

will eventually cause weird results:

the action parameter - due to Oracle's immense
shortsightedness - is only 32 bytes long.

And the module is only a little more: 48

Why would anyone go to the lengths of making this available
and then brain damage it with a ridiculously small text size
is beyond me.

It's not like we are short of memory in today's hardware...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto