Re: How to startup oracle9i without using windows services

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vlad Sadilovskiy <vlovsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:28:39 +0100

comments in line
On 7/11/05, Vlad Sadilovskiy <vlovsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wonder if you know why this person needs what he/she asks for? And
> of course you can and will use any undocumented means if you are in
> need.

 Hmm, but I didn't see any note that said that your method ran
Oracle.exeunder different credentials to normal , at a different cpu
priority and
requires the server to be left logged on at the console for the database to
continue.

For instance, Oracle puts start up script/link in /etc/rc*.d
> folders on *ix boxes. Will you always consider starting/shutting
> Oracle instances with those scripts? Why is the Windows any different?

 I don't really care where the startup *scripts* go[1], but would you run
oracle as root on unix? or as an end-user account.

In this (software,hardware) world you can do anything if you know how
> it works. The only question whether it is really necessary to use
> undocumented means.

 Well I'd first ask the question does a documented and supported method
allow for the business need to be met. I'd likely if the answer were no then
ask questions about the business need before hacking around on a production
system. Here there are at least two supported and documented ways of
scripting service control in general and a further oracle specific utility
for the task.

- Vladimir

--
Niall Litchfield