RE: How to edit spfile ?/

  • From: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledbam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>, <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:14:57 -0600

No.  The spfile is binary.  On *nix, you can do this:

$ strings spfileSID.ora > initSID.ora

And then edit the init file using any text editor you would like.

You might be able to use sed or possibly perl (reading and writing in
binary mode).  However, I have never tried this, so you will need to
test this out.