Re: How to change oracle process scheduling policy in AIX5L?

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 23:59:28 +0200

...but there's a case for *fixing* priorities of Oracle procs so
long-running processes wouldn't end up with lower priority as the scheduler
thinks they're non-interactive CPU hogs. When this happens to LGWR, you'll
have long log file sync's all over the place even though the IOs finish
fast.

Also, another class of problems is priority inversion, where a latch or
Oracle mutex holder process with lower prio than others gets pre-empted - it
won't get back onto CPU to release the lock for a while as everyone else is
burning CPU spinning on the same lock... this is especially bad when you run
an oracle version where failed mutex gets never sleep, but get into a spin &
yield loop... you'll end up having huge CPU spikes and *cursor: pin
s*waits. I wrote about one case like that here:

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2010/04/21/cursor-pin-s-waits-sporadic-cpu-spikes-and-systematic-troubleshooting/

You can set system-wide scheduler behavior on AIX using schedo command and
there's a setting which will give you fixed priorities:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-aix5_cpu/index.html

However I've never used it, never seen anyone using it so have no idea how
well it works (and what else breaks)

--
Tanel Poder
*New virtual conference!*