How oracle determine the value of optimal_size and onepass_size to use during pga_aggregate_target

  • From: "Harvinder Singh" <Harvinder.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:06:14 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to understand the algorithm used by Oracle when using
pga_aggregate target and it looks like to get the information on
Expected_WorkAreaSize, Oracle already knows about the value of
optimal_size(cache size) and onepass_size so I was wondering how oracle
calculate this values. Also in the same white paper it is mentioned that
to sort the 10GB of input data Oracle only needs about 40MB for 1 pass
but I thought to sort 10gb using 40MB bucket we need lot of passes so
how it calcuate this 40MB for onepass.

Thanks

--Harvinder