How much I/O service time?

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:35:25 -0500

For your busiest and most critical production systems, how much of total
database service time (Top 5 Timed Events in Statspack or ASH reports)
is I/O:  db file sequential read, db file scattered read, db file
parallel write?

Some people at my shop want to move to double striping on the new server
we'll be moving to, on the grounds that we'll need it when volumes grow
from the current 2 or 3 million trades/day to as many as 10 million.  At
the moment, db file sequential read and db file parallel write typically
total about 15% of total database time, which I think is acceptable.  I
just need a reality check, so any info you can give me will be

Paul Baumgartel
Information Technology
Securities Processing Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Phone 212.538.1143