RE: How many is too many

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx'" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:58:57 -0500

Sometimes, a "good" index causes exceptionally bad performance.  We have a
situation where if I add, what I "think" is, a good index on paper, the
execution plan changes in such a way as to make subsequent queries perform
horribly.  The physical I/O looks good, the cost looks good, but the logical
I/O goes berserk.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-663-1673
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.