Re: How do you think about Oracle's EC2/S3?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 12:57:23 -0500 (CDT)

Kamus writes:

> I'm serious. I'm just curious why we have to pay for the software
> licenses if provider can earn the same money from their service as the
> old license mode. Think about salesforce.com, do we pay for the
> database license we are used separately?

Perhaps you should visit salesforcewatch.com to see how good that licensing
structure is for your company when they're down and the "tech" support is an
automated response saying "we know -- try again later".  No thanks.

> The Oracle/Amazon combined service you have mentioned is still the
> same old fashion for Oracle - selling license, not selling service.
>
> If I am the CTO, if there's such a service I can choose, I will be
> very interesting:
> 1. I can pay for only 1 CPU and 2GB Mem from 18:00 - 8:00 every day
> and pay for extra 20 CPU and 80G mem from 8:00 - 18:00 or vise visa.

And you can offset any savings (realized or not) in downtime, data theft,
network hardware and bandwidth, and the SaaS upgrade trap, where they tell
you that you've been upgraded for free!  Nevermind that your software no
longer works and your data's not retrievable.  Don't think that'll happen?
It happened to us.  I'm very happy that wasn't a critical system...

> 2. I don't need to consider how to construct a data center with office
> space, power, cooling, bandwidth, networks, servers, and storage, etc

With no network/bandwidth, how does one reach The Cloud?  No local storage?
Ever try to open an MS Office document over a WAN?  That Chatty Kathy will
beg you for a local file server.

> 3. When the new version CPU and harddisk/SSD and memory chip released,
> I don't need to worry about the cost for upgrade the hardware and
> migrate the database from the old machine to the new machine, since
> cloud provider will do it for me with no cost or with a little cost
> and even with a zero down time.

I'd love to see that in writing from the vendor!  See also my example above.

> 4. I don't need to worry about how to deliver the service in the other
> city when we expand our business, since the database in cloud can be
> easily access from the other city.

And potentially exposed to every hacker in the world.

> There still a lot of things we can dream about, I'm not kidding, I
> really feel very interested in it although I know there's a long way
> to go.

"A long way to go" is absolutely right.  It's enticing to some right now and
others in the near future.  But remember, the first mouse gets snapped in
the trap, while the second mouse gets the cheese.  :)

Back to my local databases now...

Rich