Re: How do you think about Oracle's EC2/S3?

  • From: "Leyi Zhang (Kamus)" <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 00:30:19 +0800

Hi Tim

I'm serious. I'm just curious why we have to pay for the software
licenses if provider can earn the same money from their service as the
old license mode. Think about salesforce.com, do we pay for the
database license we are used separately?

The Oracle/Amazon combined service you have mentioned is still the
same old fashion for Oracle - selling license, not selling service.

If I am the CTO, if there's such a service I can choose, I will be
very interesting:
1. I can pay for only 1 CPU and 2GB Mem from 18:00 - 8:00 every day
and pay for extra 20 CPU and 80G mem from 8:00 - 18:00 or vise visa.
2. I don't need to consider how to construct a data center with office
space, power, cooling, bandwidth, networks, servers, and storage, etc
3. When the new version CPU and harddisk/SSD and memory chip released,
I don't need to worry about the cost for upgrade the hardware and
migrate the database from the old machine to the new machine, since
cloud provider will do it for me with no cost or with a little cost
and even with a zero down time.
4. I don't need to worry about how to deliver the service in the other
city when we expand our business, since the database in cloud can be
easily access from the other city.

There still a lot of things we can dream about, I'm not kidding, I
really feel very interested in it although I know there's a long way
to go.

--
Kamus <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>

Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com