Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

  • From: Jonathan Intner <jsidba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:28:56 -0400

Hi Michael:
Yes, and some flavors of Linux are smart enough to mask it, and there are
other ways to clear the command line that I don't recall at the moment, but
I could find them, if you're interested, but that doesn't stop folks from
doing "sqlplus user/pwd@db", (or, exp user/pwd, or imp and so on...my
personal favorite are "here" documents (see below)) 'cause its
quick-and-easy!

There are lots of ways to avoid this...a few years ago, I wrote several
pages of instructions describing 2 or 3 different ways to avoid the
construct with tools like sqlplus, exp & imp and worked with DBAs in 3 or 4
countries to get their scripts changed...

Just my $.02,

Jonathan

Unix "here" document:

sqlplus user/pwd@db << EOF

select * from v\$instance;  (or whatever SQL you need to run)

exit
EOF

very quick, very easy, very familiar to most anyone on Unix servers and
causes the pwd to be displayed on the command-line (again, typically).