Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

  • From: dave <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:18:55 -0400

I work with EBS and I have rarely seen a problem in prod that wasn't
reproducible in test or dev.  For those problems most were
reproducible in test/dev once we figured out the root cause.

For data related issues I refresh an environment nightly which devs
have full access to.  Sometimes its difficult to get a user to
reproduce a prob, especially over the phone.  Devs can rerquest a
refresh or wait until the next day and login as the user to work on
the issue.  They can also test other prod issues there instead of dev
since the data isn't as stale.

Our devs have full control of their dev environment and read access to
both test and prod.   In small shops where there are no 'superusers'
they may also have limited application accounts.

This setup has worked pretty good for us..  With respect to SOX it is
not entirely related to access.  Locking down an environment won't get
you a pass on a SOX audit.  In my experience its just as much about
process and actions being auditable.   Its ok to grant temp access to
prod for developers or admin staff if the proper approvals have been
obtained..

--
Sent from my mobile device