Re: How do you feel about allowing non-DBA's on your database servers?

  • From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:30:35 -0700

If you can provide a TEST system that is identical to your PROD system, then
sure, keep the developers off. HOWEVER, I have never, in my 30 years as a
developer seen a TEST system that was identical to the PROD system. If you
don't allow developers on the PROD system, how are they going to
trouble-shoot problems which surface in the PROD system but not the TEST
system?

The question is not if you should grant developers access to prod, it is HOW
you should grant access. Access should be granted only on an "as needed"
basis.

Remember, the safest, most secure system is one that you unplug from the
wall. Very safe, NOT very effective and accomplishing the goals of the
company.

Mike