Re: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:29:13 -0700

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> it is too much memorization. I see no reason to make someone memorize every
> background process (which is what Tom wants when he mentions it). I think
> general understanding of a database and an instance and how oracle works is
> more important. I have trouble keeping track of the difference between the
> SMON and the PMON myself and don't bother to keep that in my head.

Couldn't resist another reply to this.

If I take my car to an auto mechanic, I would expect him/her to know the
difference
between a carburetor and fuel injection.  The principles should be known
without
resorting to documentation.

When it comes to details, that's another story. Just as there are different
types of
carburetors and fuel injection, there are different versions of Oracle. The
tasks that
PMON/SMON  perform may change a bit between versions.

But the principles are the same.

A DBA that doesn't know the general difference between PMON and SMON is
not really paying attention.

--
Jared Still