Re: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

  • From: "Andrew Kerber" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:23:58 -0500

You have to draw a line somewhere on the memorization piece.  I might ask
the interviewee to name a few background processes in the Oracle database on
*nix, but I wouldnt necessarily expect him to go into detail about what each
process does.

A general answer would be sufficient, for example pmon monitors processes
running in the database.  If the candidate needed highly detailed
information, I would expect (and want) him to look it up.  In my opinion,
the ability to find an answer to something that he doesn't know the answer
to, or to check on what he thinks is the answer before he does something, is
vital.

--
Andrew W. Kerber