Re: How do I get column name that causing ORA-01438

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx,oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:57:28 -0700

That is because it is a different error number and message.
I also wanted to add that all of those suggested methods of finding the "offending" column work OK for inserts of the form "insert into .. values (...)". But what about an insert of the form
insert into xxx select ... from <complex view returning 1000s of rows)

In addition to not knowing which column, you don't even know which row contains the offending value.

At 06:28 AM 2/22/2007, Syed Jaffar Hussain wrote:
Niall,

I am just surprised to see this result.

We are on 10gR2, we don't get such information as you get when the error occurs. Interestingly, Oracle support doesn't mention that its available with 10gR2. I have just done a simulation test on 10R2 with <http://10.2.0.3>10.2.0.3 patch, still I don't get the same explanation as you have shown.

Can you elabrate more on this.

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation