RE: How accurate is ADDM?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:41:25 -0500

You're looking at the average to write a particular file.

They are *probably* looking at the average service time of all requests.

SAME layouts rarely exhibit hot spots or overall average bad service
statistics. Cary wrote a paper about it, and I like to keep in mind the old
joke about the guy with one foot in boiling water and the other foot in a
block of ice. His average of 122 degrees F was a comfortable hot tub!

Regards,

Mark W. Farnham

PS: BORING tends to make it easier to see if you have an actual problem with
i/o, but is rarely as flat in i/o profile as SAME. Of course flat is not the
same as fast, now is it?