RE: Hot Backup Theory Revisited:

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:05:28 +0800

Because the control file, like Oracle DataFiles, is larger than 1 OS
FileSystem Block.
An OS copy can result in a fragmented copy of the ControlFile.  AND since
you have multiple
controlfiles, do NOT attempt to copy all the copies -- OS reads will
certainly be inconsistent.

Oracle DataFiles are protected by the ArchiveLogs after you issue an ALTER
TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP
but there is no such protection.  The only way to get a consistent copy of
the ControlFile
is to use the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE command which actually
"locks" the file {ie Oracle does not write to it while it is copying it
out} and also which is
copied out by Oracle itself .

Hemant

At 01:03 AM Saturday, you wrote:
>Why OS copy of control file won't work?
>
>Guang

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

All the suffering in the world arises out of wanting happiness for self.
All happiness in the world arises out of wanting happiness for others.
- Shantideva