From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hodgkinson, Stephen
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 3:47 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: Hot Backup Theory Revested:

> Can somebody give me there opinion on the below - either yes this can
> happen or no this is impossible you must have a mistake elsewhere.
>
> /****************************************************
>
> I have an automated script that backups my database, ftp's it to a
> test server and rebuild it each night.
>
> This process works 95 % of the time.
>
> Occasionally the restore of the database fails as it asks for an
> archive log before the backup process began.
>
> My backup is something like this:
>
> 1)    ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT
> 2)    Start Begin and End Backups and copies of all tablespaces.
> 3)    ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT
> 4)    CopyArchivedRedoLogs (From the time of step1 to tep 4)
>
> So my question is do you ever require the archive logs that are
> generated before the first begin backup e.g. Maybe for a long running
> transaction that spans redo logs.
>
> I tried executing step 1)   four times but I Didn't really expect it
> help - and it didn't
>
> Please don't suggest using RMAN - we will use it soon.
>
> I known you generally would want all you archive logs and we do have
> this it is just an automation issue I am trying to resolve.
>
> If you believe what I am suggesting is impossible please let me known
> and the next time it happens I will investigate it 100 % rather than
> just manually ftp over the old archive log.
>
> Thanks in advance.

**************   IMPORTANT MESSAGE  **************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from
your system. Unless specifically indicated, this email does not
constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender or the Commonwealth
Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries. We can be
contacted through our web site: www.commbank.com.au

-- Desc: Signature

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.