Re: Horizontally scaling a database

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:08:41 -0700

On 3/15/07, Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas how to scale database horizontally as opposed
to adding more CPUs, memory and disks on a single machine.

Here are the main requirements:

We need to store apporx 300 GB of data a month. It will be OLTP system.
We want to use commodity hardware and open source database. we are

You might start here:

Sounds like SQL-Server territory, but it is not any more free than Oracle.

Apparently Web-Sphere can be used to created a federated view
of multiple MySQL databases. (google for it)

A few more minutes googling reveal this, which looks interesting:
(Found this searching for shared nothing database open source)

Check it out and let us know what you think. :)

Jared Still