Re: Histogram Procedure/Function

  • From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx, _oracle_L_list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:07:16 -0800 (PST)

You could create a table with

  fields

  range_limit_name
  lower_limit
  upper_limt

  and join this table with table_name with numeric_value

  where clause can have condition where
  numeric_value between lower_limit and upper_limit

  group by the range_limit_name

  Joseph Amalraj

Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I am looking for the easiest way to take a select and transform into some
sort of histogram...

  select numeric_value from table_name;

  should come back as

  range             total
  1-10                30
  11-20              100

  Guessing I could create a temp table and actually have oracle generate a
histogram for me then pull that back but wondering if there is a simple
function or procedure I can use. Thinking about this as I type so I apogise if
the answer turns out to be somewhat obvious.

  Thanks,
  Ethan