RE: High Availability -- True 7x24x365

  • From: Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:18:24 -0700 (PDT)

This is pretty much the same argument we get from our
user community.  Since their application is stable
they are happy.  Why upgrade?

The only answer from management has something to do
with audit requirements but they have not chosen to
share the audit results with anyone.

--- Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Which reminds me of the DBA I talked to during the
> RMOUG training days
> in February.
>
> He told me they would upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7.4
> somewhere in March
> this year. They always upgrade to the latest version
> of a major release
> after Oracle desupported it. The code will be stable
> by then, nobody
> fiddling around with it, almost every issue is known
> and resolved or a
> workaround is available.
>
> Man, these guys got a life! No nighly patches,
> weekend upgrades,
> whatever. When the final desupport date of 9.2.0.x
> is revealed, they
> have to wake up and prepare for the next upgrade.
>
> I know of other sites who do the same, but based on
> ignorant
> cost-cutting in stead of wisdom.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Carel-Jan Engel
>
> ===
> If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
> (Derek Bok)
> ===

> bitter pill
> 10.1.0.4 and
> ourselves are
> >
> > This post hit the nail on the head. The term
> > "early adoptor" means just that. Anyone have any
> > nagging outstanding bugs with 8.1.7?  Didn't
> > think so.
> >
> > I think there is a big difference between new
> > features you (the customer) wants and features
> > that Oracle wants you to have. They don't always
> > intersect and over the last couple of years,
> > usually don't intersect.
> >

> > Kevin Closson
> > Chief Architect, Database Solutions
> > PolyServe
> >
> > --
> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions ? no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/