Re: Hi,

  • From: "Alexander Fatkulin" <afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Job Miller" <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:21:32 -0400

Job,

With the development tools in the middleware space, I can do this
integration quite quickly from SQL Server to Oracle without requiring any
DBA intervention and without coding.

Setting up TG is not a rocket since also... What coding do you mean?

For real-time integration, this may be the ideal approach, instead of
coding/scheduling the insert...select * from table where timestamp >
last_time_i_checked.

Checking the timestamps is not the only approach. I don't see how any
middleware can make this easier (besides adding another layer of
complexity)?

On 7/16/07, Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The ODBC Generic Gateway is free with the database.  The Transparent Gateway
for SQL Server is an add on option to the database that you may or may not
need, depending on whether you can benefit from the capabilities the
transparent gateway for SQL server provides.

Dare I suggest middleware approaches to db-to-db integration on a dba
mailing list?
With the development tools in the middleware space, I can do this
integration quite quickly from SQL Server to Oracle without requiring any
DBA intervention and without coding.

For real-time integration, this may be the ideal approach, instead of
coding/scheduling the insert...select * from table where timestamp >
last_time_i_checked.

For bulk transfer/ETL, it may not be, but for consistent incremental
changes, it may be.

Job

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

--
Alex Fatkulin,