Re: Help needed in 8i Retention Period

  • From: Graeme.Farmer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arunrao_oradba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:33:14 +1000

Without the catalog the default setting for control_file_record_keep_time
is already 7 so you don't need to do anything!
With the catalog there's a couple of options. You could go for the simple

delete backup of database completed before 'sysdate-7';

If you have different retention requirements for daily/weekly/monthly
backups then this can be achieved by setting a TAG on the backup and then
deleting based on the tag.

Also, if you are integrating with 3rd party Media Management software and
decide to let it handle the expiry of backups in it's own catalog you can
do something like

crosscheck backup tag='MONTHLY' completed before 'sysdate - 365';
delete expired backup;

(or delete noprompt expired backup in >= 9i)

This last method is the one we use successfully for about 70 databases
being backed up by RMAN.

Graeme

oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 14/10/2004 11:44:21 PM:

> Hi Rman Gurus,
> Can anybody please let me know how to set the
> retention period in 8i and also what is the default
> retention period set in 8i.
> I have a NT box here where in I have to configure rman
> for everyday backup which includes full and
> incremental backup and the damagement wants to keep
> one week worth  of backup only.
> Please let me know how to get this enabled
> Thanks in Advance
> Arun

> Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online
> Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion
of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless
expressly stated otherwise.