RE: Hardware / OS recommendation

  • From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:54:09 +1100

Ooohh I like it when you're rough!  :)

Actually, given what John responded in a separate email as an example of why
there were complaints about lack of testing, I totally agree with you.  It's
impossible to test for things that are out of scope.  In this case, testing to
include a script that a user wrote him/herself that you know nothing about just
ain't viable.  What are needed here are scope boundaries.  Like any good
project, the testing should define up front what's in scope and what's out of
scope.  User written scripts that are in the user's login directory and not
under change control for the app are clearly out of scope.  And if you need ad
hoc query capability, then maybe you need the ability to dynamically grow and
shrink the computing resources available to you.  Heck, maybe you need a grid!
:)

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA