Re: HTML DB - here to stay?

  • From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Peter.Hitchman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:47:10 -0600

From my own personal observations, HTML DB is a great little *FREE* tool. Installation has been a snap on my Windows 2003 server.

I've created a couple small apps so far, and even talked a secretary down the hall from me into using it (instead of MySQL, Apache, and PHP, which she would have had to install and setup). After about a month or two she developed a pretty slick looking little app for her group, with minimal SQL knowledge, no PL/SQL knowledge, but a decent understanding of HTML and CSS. If you know CSS, a big part of learning HTML DB layout is overcome. I'm still struggling with it.

I'm currently working on an app that will be around 45-50 pages when done, with interactive query screens, reporting and export capabilities built-in.

From what I've gathered over the last year talking with the HTML DB team from Oracle, it's a product that here to stay (until something better and easier comes along). But, since it's all PL/SQL code that resides in your database, portability isn't that big of an issue if it's ever discontinued.

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver Federal Center
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208
~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~