Re: Guaranteed Flashback Table

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 04:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, you're absolutely right - I've commited the oracle-l sin of forgetting
to mention the version - I'm on 10gR2.

The problem I have with RETENTION GUARANTEE is that I've absolutely no idea how
long the data manipulation will need - there's not just processing time but
time involved in getting results manually checked, waiting for people to do
this (who tend to wander off out of town when you most need them etc.)  so I'm
scared of setting too small a value that we can't then flash back, or too large
a value that we blow out of disk space capturing lots of un-needed undo for the
rest of the database not involved in this operation.

Flashback Archive sounds like it could be just the ticket - but no plans for
11g just yet.   Thanks, though, I'll keep it in mind for the future!

Thank you,
Charlotte