RE: Grid Control - opinions please

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:25:33 -0400

Ooook, so, I'll take a stab at this.

Basically, 10gR2 Grid Control is a significantly improved product over
R1.  It still requires a very heavy agent on your databases, and it
still only does the vast majority of its functionality on 10gR2.  A lot
of the stated functionality is little more than proof-of-concept code,
and only going to work in a very vanilla (Read: Linux, 10gR2, RAC)
environment.  The UI is terrible, as its based on one of the Oracle
applications components (forms? portal?), and its very geared towards
you "touching" one database at a time.

It's perfectly fine for basic monitoring, some basic performance data,
and some basic operational mangement.  Beyond that, you're going to have
to look elsewhere.

(Full disclosure: we make a software product that is often compared to
Grid Control, though I'd argue they're very different beasts).

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito